Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Less Than a Week

At this time next week I will be in Costa Rica, beginning my adventure as a Peace Corps Volunteer. My departure date, Tuesday, February 21st, is creeping up quickly and I am doing my best to stay on top of everything that I have to do. Packing for two years is quite the challenge, and while I thought I would be swimming in all the clothes I wanted to take, I am actually overwhelmed by the number of books, markers, flashcards, games, and general stuff that I NEED (or maybe just really want) to take. I have piles all over my room and keep looking from them, to the suitcases I am taking, and back. I'll probably tackle the task of fitting all of my things into a zippered pocket last minute on Monday.      

If we are being honest, which I am going to try to be, I am a ball of emotions right now. They include, but are not limited to, pure excitement and exhilaration because of what is ahead of me, devastation because of all the people and events I am leaving behind, and shock because this job, that I have been waiting a year to embark on, is actually happening. A lot of people say their emotions come in waves, but mine are more like land mines that explode without any warning. I want to imagine that these surges will dissipate once I get to Costa Rica and begin training, but in reality I know that this is only the beginning of a sensitive span of months.

With all of that said, I am so lucky to have a huge group of people supporting and encouraging me on this two year excursion. During the Peace Corps interview and throughout the various stages of paperwork, they ask "does anyone not support you in your decision?" And every time I answered I could not think of a single person who questioned my choice. This could be because two of my sisters are returned Peace Corps volunteers and paved the way for my desire to join, along with my family's acceptance, but I really think that I am simply surrounded by wonderful, sensitive and loving people.

I am blessed to have parents that allow me to create and follow dreams of my own, and siblings who are incredible role models and show what can be accomplished with a little passion and dedication. I am fortunate to have an extended family that love me and push me to be the best person I can. I am privileged to have best friends that always listen to my anxieties and anticipations. And I am so lucky to have a boyfriend that is understanding of my desire to join Peace Corps and is selfless enough to continually support me through this long-distance.

I have a lot to accomplish in the next five days, and a lot happening in my brain, but knowing I have a strong support system makes everything a little bit easier. I can't say thank you enough, but I hope that everyone knows how much I love them and how much I will miss them.

Peace and Love.      


3 comments:

  1. Seriously consider a career in writing! You have quite a talent and truly paint a picture of what you are talking about. I'd read your works!! Best wishes for safe and happy travels and a wonderful experience abroad! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in for the long haul. I will be living vicariously thru you . Please please keep us all on the edge of our seats..make us laugh and keep us informed. God Bless you Annie Mott...You are the breath of fresh air. We are so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete