Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Welcome!

Most anyone that will be reading this blog knows that I have joined the Peace Corps and will leave for Costa Rica on February 21st. However, if you are the .5% that might have stumbled upon this site as a result of googleing "Peace Corps Blogs" or "Life in Costa Rica," welcome! I am thrilled you are here and I hope you don't get bored too fast.

Because of an urge from my BFF, I started this blog to keep in contact with friends and family in the States, and to provide a malleable document that records my excitements and successes, as well as my anxieties, frustrations, and struggles. I hope to be as honest as possible and to provide an accurate portrayal of my experiences as a Peace Corps Volunteer, or PCV for those who don't know the lingo...yet. 

On to the actual logistics of my service, I will be teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL volunteer). I received my Staging information, aka training stuff, a couple of days ago. I am leaving for Dallas on February 21st for a short intro to the PC and then moving on to Costa Rica on February 22nd. From the 22nd until May 4th-ish I will be in the Costa Rican city of Heredia with the other TEFL trainees, taking part in an intensive pre-service training (PST) program. 

Of course I am going to plug that everyone should write me. Even you .5% that do not know me. I am going to be starving for American contact, especially if it involves any information on the Hunger Games movies, the St. Mary's Church softball team, and I guess the simple, everyday activities of my family and friends out there. 

For the first 2.5 months you can mail things to me at: 
Annie Mott, PCT
Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 1266-1000
San Jose, Costa Rica

If you send anything by courier, FedEx, UPS, ect., use this:
Annie Mott, PCT
Boulevard Rohrmoser
300 m. Oeste de la Farmacia Fischel
El Triangula Costado Oeste del Parque La Loma
La Favorita, Pavas
San Jose, Costa Rica

After training, I become a PCV and I will be moving to a new city. I will send out a new address so you can continue sending mail to me! 

It is becoming very real and I am very nervous and excited. But mostly nervous. And mostly because my Spanish is muy mal. That is my biggest concern at the moment, but hopefully I can hunker down and study, study, study before I leave. 

Sorry this is so long. Did anyone make it? Well, I am really looking forward to keeping you all updated and I hope you comment if you have any questions.

Peace and Love.    

4 comments:

  1. Annie-
    I'm so excited for you and I will keep up with reading your blog!! Are you going to be at school anytime before you leave? Good luck, I'll be thinking of you!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leigh! I am planning on coming to State at least one more time. I will text you and hopefully we can grab coffee or something. Thanks for the well wishes. I hope school is going great for you!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to do a blog!! Can't wait to read all about your experience!! We will miss you. If they happen to let you have June 29, 2012 off... You know where to be :) xoxo-Laura
    Ps. You are such a good writer! Nice flow, great word choice, fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perf! You will be a GREAT teacher and Costa Rica is lucky to have you. Looking forward to reading about all of your exploits!

    ReplyDelete