Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Earthquake Alert


Well if my actual work projects aren’t reason enough to write a blog post an earthquake sure does the trick.

Today, Wednesday, September 5th, 2012, started exactly how I thought it would as I was falling asleep last night. I got out of bed, ate breakfast, dressed myself and headed out the door on my SuperPro bike. I rode into Liberia to meet up with three other volunteers and our twelve co-teachers for our monthly conversation club. We meet on the second floor of the Antigua Escuela Santa Ana to share activities for classes and to get the teachers speaking English with people other than their first graders. We were just beginning an open forum on classroom issues and solutions when I felt what seemed like a giant ogre running up the stairs or a huge train coming through town. The conversation silenced as everyone looked at each other with wide eyes. As the rumbling grew and the building began to shake the Costa Rican teachers yelled “earthquake!” as the other volunteers and I asked “are we in an earthquake?” (huh?? wuh??)

I stood up and did a couple of turns looking around the room as I tried to remember my pre-service training on earthquake protocol. I didn’t remember a thing but I noticed all of the teachers huddled in the door frame so I headed over to the inside wall of the room and grabbed hold. We were all clinging on to something as the trembles picked up and the entire building began swaying from side to side. As I widened my stance to surfing status it finally hit me that we are on the second floor of ANTIGUA escuela. Just how antique is this school?!

The entire earthquake lasted for around thirty seconds and as soon as it stopped we headed downstairs to open area, preparing for any aftershock. It wasn’t until after the event that I realized that I was super tense. I listened to the teachers talking about how strong the earthquake was, but seeing as I have nothing to compare it to, I honestly didn’t know if it was really a big deal. I did wonder if it was big enough to reach the news in the States and I was surprised when I had two emails within twenty minutes of the quake, asking if I was okay. The other volunteers and I also got a bunch of texts from other volunteers and our bosses called us to make sure that everyone was fine.

We waited outside for about thirty minutes and then sent the teachers home to be with their families as that is typical procedure for schools and companies. As I walked back up the stairs to gather my things I realized that I was still a little shaky on my feet and that I had a headache. I could just picture my brain rattling in my skull.

The other volunteers and I hung around Liberia for a bit of the day and talked about the experience. I am still shocked that it was an earthquake of 7.6 magnitude. It felt big, but 7.6 is really big! In Liberia and El Capulin, everyone is safe and there isn’t much structural damage. There are quite a few houses with damage closer to the epicenter, as well as a hospital in Puntarenas, landslides in other areas of the country and two people died, but for what we were hit with we are lucky that there isn’t more ruin.

I am thankful for all of your thoughts and prayers and I know that it made a huge difference. It’s amazing to see all the love that is sent to Costa Rica, not only today but I am sure every day.

And just FYI, I’ll be home in a week and cannot wait! See you all sooooon!       

No comments:

Post a Comment