Monday, April 23, 2012

My Site!


I did it again. I came home from class and no one was home. I wanted to get some letters written so I sat down with my new stationary from Meghan, and new sharpies from my mom, and started writing. I heard an, “Upe! Dona Luz?!” and knew that I had to go outside to tell whoever it was that Dona Luz wasn’t home and that I couldn’t recharge their phones. I barely stepped out of the front door when a gust of wind slammed it shut. Shit. Why do I keep pad-locking the gate?

I was not about to sit for another hour, so I immediately started, quietly, shouting “Upe?” at my neighbor’s house. I heard movement so I waited. No one came. I shouted a little louder, and a little louder, and louder until I was using my cheerleading voice. Finally, my neighbor poked her head around the curtain and saw me standing about a foot and a half from her window, just on the other side of the cement wall. She came out and I explained that I was locked in my yard and asked if I could climb over the wall and leave through her yard. She laughed and told me “tranquilla,” which is relax, and said of course. Within ten minutes of getting locked in, I was able to get out and walk to the safety of Dona Luz and her keys. It’s amazing what changes in a week. I don’t know if it was my overwhelming confidence that made me believe that I could explain my situation to my neighbor using Spanish, or my dread of sitting there for more than an hour that made me take action, but I am so glad I did.   

On to the really exciting news, I officially have my site placement! For the duration of my service, I will be living in El Capulin, a barrio of Liberia, in the province of Guanacaste. El Capulin is only two kilometers outside of Liberia, which is the capital of Guanacaste, the home of an international airport and has a population of about 40,000. In contrast to the fancy living of Liberia, El Capulin is a pretty poor town and fairly small. I will be working in two elementary schools, each with less than 200 students. Each school has one English teacher and I will be working with them to improve their English and teaching habits. Hopefully they like me.

Guanacaste, the province I’ll be living in, is dubbed the wild, wild west of Costa Rica. It is hot and dry and there is a lot of cattle ranching. I don’t know what El Capulin will be like, since it is so close to a city, but lucky for you, and me, I am visiting it from Saturday until next Wednesday and can give a more detailed post then.

I am really excited to finally have a place to call home for the next two years. And I am super nervous to actually move there and start my life, which will be in three weeks. I think once I am there, everything will feel real and I might freak a little. I have to live with a host family for the first six months, so hopefully I won’t feel super lonely. But I think the reality that I am going to be here, in Costa Rica, for two years, will sink in.
But, hopefully the site visit this coming week will give me a good idea of what my site is like and what I potentially will be working on. How exciting!

This past weekend sixteen of the trainees went to Manuel Antonio, on the Pacific Coast, to get a little sun before we are all split up throughout the country. The beach was gorgeous and the water was fantastic. There were waves and surfers and parasailing and food and sarongs and everyone had a really fun time.

This coming week is the site visit and the week after that is swearing-in and moving out. Everything is moving really fast but I like it! I am feeling really great and comfortable with Costa Rican living and Spanish and teaching. I know that will change when I move, but for now, I am very content.

Thanks for all of the letters and packages. It’s really incredible what an amazingly fantastic group of family and friends I have. I hope to get a PO Box in Liberia, so look for a new address in a few weeks.

I love and miss you all! And Happy Happy Birthday to Meghan! Hope you had the best day ever!!

Annie     

No comments:

Post a Comment